Acetaminophen vs Paracetamol

and paracetamol are actually the same drug, known by different names in different parts of the world. In the United States and some other countries, it is typically called acetaminophen, while in other parts of the world, including the United Kingdom, it is known as paracetamol.

Acetaminophen/paracetamol is a common over-the-counter pain reliever and fever reducer. It is often used to treat mild to moderate pain, such as headaches, menstrual cramps, and toothaches, as well as to reduce fever. It is generally considered safe when used as directed, although it can cause liver damage if taken in large doses or over a long period of time. It is important to follow the recommended dosage instructions and to avoid taking more than one medication that contains acetaminophen/paracetamol at the same time, as this can also lead to an overdose.

Paracetamol (also known as acetaminophen) is a commonly used pain reliever and fever reducer. However, taking too much of it can be harmful and even life-threatening.

 Overdose of Paracetamol

An overdose of paracetamol occurs when a person takes more than the recommended dose or takes it for a prolonged period of time. The liver is responsible for breaking down paracetamol, but an excessive amount can cause liver damage and failure.

Symptoms of paracetamol overdose include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, and yellowing of the skin or eyes. In severe cases, overdose can lead to liver failure, which can be fatal.

If you suspect a paracetamol overdose, seek medical attention immediately. Treatment for overdose usually involves administering a medication called N-acetylcysteine (NAC), which helps to prevent liver damage by enhancing the body's ability to remove paracetamol. It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible, as the effectiveness of NAC decreases with time.

Post a Comment